Our research shows that today’s technical professionals spend up to 80% of their time writing. Without a process for writing effectively, people wait until the last minute to start, reuse boilerplate copy, and spend excessive (non-billable) time to produce mediocre content.
During highly interactive sessions, Strategic Writing program participants learn new skills, assess and improve real examples, share feedback with others, and build best practices together. As a result, professionals at every level of writing ability are able to:
- Tailor their strengths to their readers’ needs, and gain a step-by-step process for writing to meet those needs.
- Convey complicated concepts and foster trust with results-oriented stories that show how they have solved similar problems.
- Solve their specific writing challenges, such as writer’s block, passive voice, grammar mistakes, and meaningless text that wastes the readers’ time.
Skills that Apply Today—and Tomorrow
The JTG Strategic Writing program empowers professionals with skills they can use every day to create:
- Strong proposal content in less time so that their marketing team can review and incorporate it into an overall proposal well before the due date.
- Effective reports that explain complicated processes clearly and concisely.
- Emails to clients—and prospective clients—that get read and acted on.
- Powerful, authentic content that describes their unique abilities in a way that aligns with the firm’s identity—instead of using boilerplate copy over and over.
Each program is custom designed based on participant needs and skill levels. We start by meeting with leadership and marketing team members to learn what they see as the challenges, and to ensure that existing company brand and writing guidelines are incorporated into the process. Next, we conduct a one-hour group kickoff, followed by short interviews to assess how participants approach a writing project and understand their writing challenges. Participants then identify an example they can use during the two working sessions. After the program, participants receive a custom guidebook with key learnings, solutions to their specific challenges, and an explanation of their writing process.
Why is Writing Well Important?
Emails, reports, proposals, and other written materials are the most frequent communication firms have with clients—and potential clients. Each piece makes a statement about the firm’s competence and capabilities. In the case of proposals, it can make the difference between winning and losing a project.
Because writing is something people do on their own, it’s difficult to give and receive feedback, and improve skills. Good writers have a hard time explaining how they do what they do. They simply “fix it” over and over, which doesn’t help the author. The Strategic Writing program provides a proven process for writers of all abilities to write clearly and effectively—every time.