Selection panels consistently tell us that projects are won and lost in the question and answer portion of the interview. Yet, many A/E/C teams struggle to prepare for Q&A and don’t go beyond guessing the questions and memorizing their answers. Thus, teams come across as disjointed and ill-equipped, and lose critical points.
In this four-hour session, participants use typical and anticipated questions from real, shortlisted or targeted projects to learn to answer questions effectively and maximize their scores. By learning a process for answering questions effectively, teams can approach the Q&A portion of the interview with confidence.
- Deciding which team member facilitates questions and answers.
- Understanding the “why” behind the question.
- Using proactive, positive language that connects to the client’s needs.
- Managing time effectively.
- Turning questions into conversations.
- Handling complex or multi-part questions.
- Turning “pile-on” into a sophisticated team discussion.
- Managing sitting and standing body language.
- Using PowerPoint, boards, or other visuals.
- Avoiding generalities and rambling.
Before the session: An assessment that includes an RFP and proposal review, feedback from past interviews, questions that have been asked before, and any other relevant information.
During the session: Key ideas are presented using your anticipated questions as examples. We work with the team to enable them to answer confidently, accurately, and concisely. Using video, participants gain an accurate picture of how they look and sound. Video shows exactly how long answers take and identifies muddled answers.
Built on Success
The Managing Q&A program is an expanded version of the Q&A section of JTG’s Presentation & Facilitation Skills and Interview Coaching programs. The content is based on knowledge gained from coaching almost 200 short-listed teams and more than 115 interviews with public and private section panel members.